MeOW Welcome to Service Cats and Everything Feline on Furidays. We spent the last 3 weeks givin’ ya’ll a little background into how long it took fur us to learn some of the tasks we purrform fur mommy. Ifin ya’ missed any of those posts you can read them here, here and here. And don’t furget you can check out all our Trainin’ posts by clickin’ Training Tips and Everything Feline from our menu. We’ve covered lots of great topics and offured tons of Training Tips that are good fur not only kitties but woofies too. Keep those questions comin’. We dedicate these posts to answering any and all questions you may have regarding the health, behavior or anything else you wanna know ‘bout your anipals, cats in purrticular. Leave your questions and/or post suggestions in the comments below or send us an email via our Contact page. Let’s get the business outta the way and get to today’s topic.
The followin’ post will be written in human English fur reader and translator ease. Our Service Cat posts aren’t intended to be an all inclusive Trainin’ Manual but rather Tips, Tricks and Techniques used/developed by mommy A thru her many years of animal trainin’, cats in purrticular. And to offur insight into your questions about Everything Feline. Always remember, Training is all ‘bout Repetition and Rewards.
We’ve discussed our Training to call for help by using a land line telephone many times. In response to that we were asked, “What do you do when a call is answered? Are you trained to meow a certain number of times?” As we stated last week, part of our telephone training is learning to listen for the voice on the other end of the phone signaling that our call has been successfully made. Mommy says she’s been blessed with chatty kitties. Meaning, we love to chat it up…all the time. MOL
Anyways, before we answer this question, let’s take a look at how emergency calls are handled. And remember, It’s a Crime to call 911 if you don’t have an emergency. So, if you’re Training your anipal to call for help, be sure the phone has been disconnected, or better yet, use a pre-programmed number to a friend or family member that can imitate the response of an emergency operator. Or maybe you would rather have a friend or family member be your emergency call. With the ability to pre-program numbers into your land lines, it makes calling for help that much easier. There’s fewer buttons to Train your anipal to dial. It is our opinion that cell phones can’t be used by your anipal to call for help. So, if you need your Service Animal to perform this task, you must have a land line with basic service. We use Magic Jack at a cost of about $40.00 billed yearly for unlimited calling anywhere in the U.S. and Canada.
Now, let’s take a look at that Emergency Service call. When a call comes in to an Emergency Services operator, they can see the number the call is made from and the name and address associated with that number. That means they already know where they should send emergency personnel. Again, this is when using a land line. Altho’ most places have implemented GPS locators for cell phone users calling 911. Some telephone companies work in conjunction with Emergency Services to provide additional instructions displayed to the 911 operator when an Emergency call comes in from certain numbers. Years ago mommy filled out one such form that told the 911 operator to send an ambulance if they received a call from our number and either heard nothing or only meowing. You might check with your local phone company or Emergency Services to see what options may be available to you in your area.
So, what is it that we do when we call for help? First let me tell you that in all the time me’s been with mommy, we’ve thankfully not had any such emergencies. However, mommy makes sure to keep our Training current just in case. When mommy falls or passes out, we get quite worried and don’t like to leave her side. That being said, we’re Trained to make that emergency call and start meowing when we hear a voice on the other end. Altho’ it’s not uncommon for us to start meowing the minute mommy falls or passes out. Typically, we meow in the direction of the phone, run to mommy, back to the phone and then back to mommy again. We are Trained to repeat these steps a few times before finally settling in beside mommy until help arrives or she can get up and around. Me’s particular love of the phone means that me will often bring the phone with me to rest at mommy’s side. And, like Shad and sis Lexi before me, me has been known to make calls to other pre-programmed numbers from time to time. As me’s told you before, me does love the telephone. Mommy says me’s a typical teenage girly curious cat.
As for Raena, she has this signature “hum” sound that she’s made from day one when she jumps up/down or starts to run. She tends to “hum” a couple of times before starting to meow. She’s not nearly as obsessed with the phone as me is. Mommy says that’s a good thing. At least we don’t fight over who’s going to make the call. The bottom line is that if you want to Train your anipal, you must have a land line phone. What they do after making the call is up to you. Any call made to Emergency Services must be investigated. So, even if your anipal doesn’t meow or bark, police will be sent out to the address on file.
Well, that’s a wrap for today. Always remember, Training is all about Repetition and Rewards. If you’d like to read the Training Tips on how to Train your anipal, click here. We also discussed options like the “I’ve fallen and can’t get up” buttons/boxes here. Remember to leave your questions and/or topic suggestions in the comments below or send us an email. When asking behavioral questions, purrlease be as specific as pawsible. You can check out all the Training Tips we’ve covered so far by clicking on Training Tips and Everything Feline from our menu. We look forward to hearing from you. And don’t furget to meet us here each week when we answer all your questions about the furry purrers in your life. We’re also linking up with Comedy Plus fur Feline Friday.
Till the next time…………………………………………..Be Blest!!!
Luv and Hugs and Kitty Kisses
Deztinee and RaenaBelle
Hey, is anypawdy out there? It’s me, RaenaBelle. Ya’ll ain’t never gonna believe what we got yesfurday.
Raena, we were gonna save that fur Blest Sunday. You know, that’s when we post our thank yous and blessings.
I’s know, but since I’s usin’ it, I’s thought it would be nice to mention it today, at least.
You’re right, it is pawfully comfurtable. But hurry, we need to get to that meme thing we were gonna do today.
Okay, sissy. So, as I’s was meowin’ befur I’s was so rudely innerrupted…
Raena, be nice.
Anyways, Ya’ll ‘member the cool cat shelf we reviewed and gave away from Art of Paws? Well, we also gave away a couple of heated pet mats from the same company. Based on all the comments, it seemed really pawpular. We hadn’t actually gotten to try the mat cuz when we met Maya and her cats, they didn’t ship it to the U.S.. But, as mommy always says, patience is a virtue and good things come to those who wait.
Me doesn’t think it goes like that Raena. Me thinks you’ve got a couple meowin’s mixed up.
Just who’s meowin’ the story here, sissy? Anyways, as time went on, Maya started bein’ more like our awnty than some big ole company. ‘Course, maybe that’s cuz she ain’t no big ole company. After all, it is just her and her four kitties runnin’ the company from their home across the pond. Anyways, after wrappin’ up our give aways and passin’ winner’s infurmation along, we fanky fanked Maya and the kitties fur their generosity. And then, yesfurday the fedex man arrived with a box just fur us. Can ya’ guess what was in it? Sure ‘nuff, awnty Maya and the Art of Paws kitties sent us our very own heated mat. It’s even more furtabulous than we had ‘magined it would be. Fanky fank ya’ awnty Maya, Paisley, Smudge, Agyle and Bailey. With all the colds, it sure is comin’ in handy. Even mommy’s a bit jealous at how comfy it looks.
Check it out Raena, our very own heated cat mat.
We are very fankful awnty Maya, and we luv our new heated mat. Me reckons ya’ll will be seein’ lots more of our mat as the colds get colder. Now, our stunnin’ furiend CK has been doin’ this thing she calls memes. We’re not so good at those, but we do luv meowin’ ‘bout ourselves. So, CK has posted 20 questions fur us to answer. Ifin enuff of us play along, she’ll make this a regular thing. You can purrticipate by postin’ it on your bloggy and linkin’ back to CK or you can post your answers here in the comments. We’re not sure ifin we were allowed to use CK’s foto, so you’ll have to hop on over to her place to see the “meme” pawrt. Now, let’s get those questions goin’.
1. What was the last thing you put in your mouth? Raena. Nah, me’s just kitten ya’, really it was me’s brekky.
2. Where was your header pic taken? The Liberty Cat tree in our house.
3. Worst pain you ever felt? That has to be when me was spayed. Me hurt so bad, me actually bit right thru mommy’s thumb, nail and all.
4. Favorite place you’ve traveled? BlogPaws in Nashville Tennessee. What a trip. Just me and sis Lexi and mommy in a furiegn land. MOL
5. How late did you stay up last night? 5 a.m. as usual.
6. If you could move, where to? Anywhere, so long as mommy and Raena are there. And, we’d luv to move. Just meowin’.
7. What do you collect? Hugs and kisses
8. Which of your blogging friends lives the closest? Hmmmmm Well, we’re really not sure. We’re purrobably ‘bout the same distance from our furiends Travis in Texas as we are our furiends from Prancer Pie here in Oklahoma. Ifin anypawdy’s closer, give us a shout out.
9. Amusement park or concert? Amusement Pawrk of course. We luv goin’ fur rides.
10. When was the last time you cried? Last night. Me was missin’ sis Lexi.
It’s mines turn, sissy. I’s gonna answer the last 10.
11. Who took your header photo? Mommy of course. She’s the only one with thumbs.
12. Who’s the last person you took a picture with? Mommy, of course. It’s just the three of us.
13. What’s your favorite season? Anytime I’s can go fur a stroll or get purresents.
14. If you could have any career, what would it be? I’s already have several. I’s a Service Cat that helps mommy. I’s a blogger/writer. And I’s the Princess of our manor. Really I’s the Queen, but let’s not upset sissy, k?.
15. Do you think relationships are ever worth it? I’s not sure what kind’a relationship you be meowin’ ‘bout. The one I’s have with mommy is fur sure worth it, as is the one I’s have with sis Dezi. Seems the boycats ain’t all that innerested in me, so I’s can’t meow ‘bout that.
16. If you could talk to anyone right now who would it be? I’s hear our furiend Nellie was quite good at ketchin’ the mencats hearts. Maybe ifin I’s could meow with her, I’s could break a few hearts mine’s self.
Uh, did I’s meow that? I’s didn’t really mean I’s wanted to break any hearts. I’s just usin’ old meowins.
17. Are you a good influence? Most definitely, I’s a true Southern Belle. Pawlite, sweet, good natured, and (looks around and whispers) gawjus.
18. Does pineapple belong on pizza? Does that come from a cow? I’s an obligate carnivore, so I’s think only meats and some cheese, I’s do like cheese. Anyways, no pineapples fur me.
19. You have the remote, what are you watching? Oh Kittens!!! There’s so many good shows to watch. I’s think I’s would purrobably watch mine’s cousins the lions.
20. Whom do you think will play along? This has been really fun. I’s hope everypawdy plays along.
So, there ya’ have it. Do you enjoy learnin’ more ‘bout us like this? We do hope lots of peeps, cats, dogs and whoever/whatever else will join us in CK’s 20 Facts game.
We sure do sissy. We luvs learnin’ more ‘bout our furiends and hope they enjoy learnin’ more ‘bout us. Gotta go now, Travis the wheelchair man is on his way to adjust mommy’s new powerchair.
Till the next time……………………………………..Be Blest!!!
Raena: Navy Blue
Dezi: Vibrant Blue
Luvs and Hugs and Kitty Kisses